Try our simple yet delicious paleo applesauce recipe; tastes just like what grandma used to make. You can eat the applesauce by itself or use it as an alternative sweetener for baking. There is nothing better than homemade applesauce with hand-picked apples, unfortunately my tree didn’t produce enough apples for this recipe so we had to buy some this year. We also recommend below using a variety of apples – some sweet and some tart to make a perfect mix.
- 10 lbs organic apples – (I use a mix of tart and sweet apples)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup organic apple cider
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or to taste (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ground cinnamon
- Peel and roughly chop the apples and place in a large pot.
- Add the apple cider, coconut sugar and cinnamon.
- Place the covered pot on the stove over a medium high heat and cook until the apples are tender.
- Using a potato masher or large spoon mash or stir the apples until smoother. I like a chunky applesauce but you can make the apples as smooth as you like.
- Remove from heat and refrigerate until cold before serving.
- You can add other fruit to your applesauce, try strawberries, cranberries, raspberries during cooking to spice up your applesauce.