It’s that time of year when pumpkin is just around every corner! We have pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin brownies, and pumpkin pie; so why not have pumpkin spice liqueur too! You can make your own with our pumpkin spice liqueur recipe today. This would be a great drink to enjoy on a cool night wrapped up in a cozy blanket next to the fire or serve it at a dinner party with all your friends and family. (KID FRIENDLY VERSION BELOW)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée (not pie filling)
- 6 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- 2 cups aged rum, such as 10 Cane Rum or Chacaca like Leblon alternately you can use Potato or Grape Vodka (Ciroc) or VuQu made from coconut
- Place the water and sugars in a medium saucepan, whisk to combine, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the pumpkin, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and vanilla beans – whisk to combine and return to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the syrup is infused with flavor, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a medium fine-mesh strainer with a piece of ultrafine cheesecloth and place it over a large heatproof bowl.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture through the cheesecloth and let it drain undisturbed until most of the liquid has passed through and only a thick paste remains. Gently press on the paste with a rubber spatula to release any remaining liquid, then discard the contents of the strainer. (You should have about 2 cups of infused syrup.)
- Add the rum and stir to combine. Transfer to a 1-quart container and set aside to cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Seal the container tightly and store it in a cool, dark place for at least 2 days and up to 3 months before serving.
Serve topped with sparkling water try ginger, cola, or lemon-lime Kombucha as a mixer.
You can also make a KID FRIENDLY PUMPKIN JUICE by omitting the alcohol and adding flavored sparkling water or kombucha for a refreshing pumpkin surprise !